Q: Car won't start or stay in park.

car won't start, mechanic said it's the starter cable and only one place in AZ to get it, the cost plus labor will be $600. Does that sound right?

Hi there. The issue could be the shifter cable not adjusted properly or the transmission position sensor could have failed. If the transmission is not shifting into park, then check the shifter cable to see if its loose on the transmission. The shifter also could be faulty within its housing. If the shifter housing and the cable are working fin, then either the transmission position sensor has failed or the transmission could have a bent rod inside keeping the shifter from going into park. If the vehicle is not starting, set the parking brake and try starting the vehicle in neutral. If the engine starts up, then I recommend checking the shifter cable to see if its loose or damaged and then move to the transmission position sensor if the cable is good. If you need further assistance with your engine not starting and the transmission not going into park, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Car won't start or stay in park.