Q: Car won't start I've put a new battery and have no volt drop from battery to cables

So it's cold here my car died while eating breakfast, I had to jump it to get to breakfast. Came back out and it was dead again tried jumping it and nothing chalked it up to dead battery so I replaced it and still nothing. The only thing that comes on is the dome light only when turned on manually. They do not come on if you open the car door as they should with a new battery. I'm not getting any volt drop from battery to the cables. Checked positive at starter and checks at 10v so a 2.5v drop not sure if that is that bad power locks windows and lights don't come on at all but there is power because the dome lights come on. The car of course will not start as well I've checked the majority of the fuses in the main box at a loss and can't figure it out thanks in advance for your help.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The voltage on the heavy cable at the starter should be equal to battery voltage unless you are cranking the engine at which time the voltage will momentarily drop. If you are not reading battery voltage on that cable, there is a fault in the circuit. Also, there should be 12.5 volts to the solenoid on the starter motor with the key held in the start position. If you are getting less than 12.5 volts, that is a problem. From your description it sounds like there may be an electrical issue and that will have to be pinpointed through a diagnostic. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the mechanic will get your car running. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr