Q: Car won't start

I just got a brand new battery and alternator put in for my car, and it still won't start. My mechanic let me know that the AC and heat unit was drawing too much energy and to keep it off, and I have been - but the car still won't turn. It sounds like it's trying when you crank it, but no spark/nothing. I was driving it a week ago just fine - with the AC and heat unit off.

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2004 Volkswagen Golf. This sounds like your alternator was potentially too weak to power everything. What often times happens when this is the case is that the alternator is not maintaining the proper voltage output and as a result accessories are not powered as well as they should be. This could be potentially a bad voltage regulator or alternator or both. I would recommend having a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your car starting problem and replace the voltage regulator or alternator if necessary.

3. Car won't start