Q: Car won't start after it ran out of gas and was filled again

Hi. Recently, my car ran out of gas. After I filled it up, it would crank but wouldn't turn over. I tried turning it off and on again, restarting it but it didn't help. I pressed the reset button for the fuel injector, which didn't help either. I can hear the fuel pump working when I put the key into on. Why did this happen? What should I do? Thank you.

Sometimes if a vehicle runs out of fuel it can get air in the fuel lines. Any time a vehicle runs out of fuel and more fuel is added, the key should be turned to the ’On’ position then back to the ’Off’ position three or four times to prime the fuel pump. Priming the fuel pump will remove any air that may have gotten into the lines as a result of the vehicle running out of fuel.

If priming the fuel pump does not start the vehicle, I would recommend having a fuel system inspection performed by a qualified professional, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to diagnose your car’s starting issue and make the needed fixes to get you back on the road again.