Q: Car won't start - 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Just bought this from a guy who has worked on it for 2 months. Said he adjusted timing and messed with sensors. He said after he installed a new camshaft it would start after cranking and cranking but would idle rough and die. We installed a new coil ignition pack and it started up just fine and was running pretty good but my hubby barely touched the cam and it died, now it won't start at all. Please please help..

A: I would go back to "things you know ha...

I would go back to "things you know have been messed with," and start from there. Get a good service manual, and pull the timing cover off to re-check the timing gears for proper camshaft/crankshaft timing. Don't assume anything. Once you know the cam timing is correct, set the distributor timing for cylinder 1, top dead center. Now you will KNOW that the base timing should be correct. Then work through the basics - good spark at the plugs, does starter fluid make it start, etc. May need to check compression too before you get too far - given the high mileage. Camshaft/crankshaft position sensors, fuel supply, etc. It is painful to diagnose something that someone else messed with, and you don't know how well, or if at all, it ran before, and what problems it had. Contact a professional mechanic to diagnose why your car won't start if you need a hand.