Q: Car won't start - 1988 Mercedes-Benz 300TE

asked by on September 16, 2016

I was on my way to my mom’s and needed to get some gas. So I pulled into a station, filled up the tank, went to start the car and it wouldn’t start. I didn’t hear the fuel pump fizzle when I turned the key, so maybe it’s the fuel pump relay. After sitting for 15 minutes my car started, so I drove straight home. When I got home and turned off the engine, I tried starting it again. And it wouldn’t start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Hey there. Your fuel pump may have a heat related failure and needs to be cooled to get it to work. The pump is in the fuel tank and needs to be tested first by a mechanic to see if it is seized. You may also need an injection pump fuel cutoff that is bad if you have fuel pressure to the pump. If you want to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the no-start and have this corrected properly.