Q: Car will not shift out of park.

My car will not shift out of park once it is parked. There is no problems shifting gears once I put something into the shift lock slot to reset it. It doesn't happen all the time..sometimes I can go a week without it happening and sometimes it happens every day for a week.

When the problem is happening check to see if the brake lights come on when you press the brakes. If light is coming on then the problem is in the gear shift lock mechanism. The lock actuator needs to be checked to see if it is getting power and if it is then replace actuator.