Q: Car will jump start fine. But when I try to start it from the new battery, it all goes black and power goes out completely

asked by on November 10, 2016

I have replaced the battery after noticing that my Jeep Cherokee Sport (99) will crank fine with jumper cables. When I replaced the battery I got in to try to crank it and the dome light was on with the door opened. When I turn the key nothing happened except for the light going out completely. Happens every time. It jump starts fine. It looks good when the new battery is connected. Turn ignition - motor does nothing / power blacks out.

Battery Replacement $232.05 - $357.95 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It sounds like your new battery may be faulty. If the vehicle jump starts ok, then this is a sign that the new battery is not providing enough cranking amps to engage the starter. It may have a bad cell that is causing your symptoms. A bad cell prevents the battery from operating properly and can wreak havoc on electrical systems. The only repair is to replace the battery if this is the case. Have the battery tested with a digital battery tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to confirm this and avoid replacing any unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a no-start diagnostic so the correct repair will be done.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr