Q: Car stuck in park, traction control quit working

I had no issue with my Genesis until recently. Yesterday, I started it up but it seemed to be stuck in park. It won't shift out of it. Besides this, the traction control quit working as well. What should I do?

Hello. I suspect that the one of the plastic arms connecting the shifter to the transmission has broke or come out of place. The plastic stalk is a form of shift linkage and has been known to break overtime and leave the shifter unable to change the transmission’s gear position.

Another reason you may not be able to shift gears is a faulty brake light switch. The transmission can not shift if the brake light switch is not engaged.

I’d recommend getting assistance from a certified technician who can diagnose the malfunction with the traction control module by using a scan tool capable of communicating with the module. There will be a code present in the traction control module which will tell the technician which component is at fault. Once the issue has been pinpoint an accurate repair can be made.