Q: Car starts and then dies and the check engine light comes on

Battery light comes on when starting it... quickly the car dies and check engine light pops on

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1396.98 Get a Quote

Hi There, Your check engine light may come on as a result of the battery light coming on indicating that you have a problem with your charging system. This generally means that you have a weak battery or possibly a failing alternator or voltage regulator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power as you have described. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.