Q: Car starting and dying

My car was running bad and I thought it was the carburetor. I took it off and replaced it, and now it starts, but dies, and won't run.

A: Hi. Replacing parts without diagnosing can ...

Hi. Replacing parts without diagnosing can get expensive very quickly. The carburetor needs to be adjusted properly before installing (idle screws 3 1/2 turns out, throttle stop barely cracked) and the insulator gasket has to be the correct part. Many things could cause the problem, for example, it could be worn spark plugs, a vacuum leak, or even a mechanical engine failure. I would suggest having a certified mechanic from YourMechanic inspect the car starting but then shutting off issue.