Q: Car started sputtering while in traffic, felt like it was losing power and there was a gas smell coming in the car, what happened?

asked by on March 08, 2018

While driving in traffic the car started sputtering and it felt as if it was losing power. At the same time there was an odor that I believe was gasoline becoming strong inside the car.

Car starts and then dies Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Pedro. Thanks for contacting us today. There are a few possible things that can cause these symptoms. The most common would be that you have a mass air flow sensor that is clogged with excessive carbon deposits, a vacuum leak or perhaps a fuel filter that is dirty or a fuel line that has come loose or damaged. It’s also possible that an EVAP component may have been damaged, so it would be a wise idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete an on-site inspection before driving the vehicle further.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr