Q: 2007 Camry XLE V6 hook jumper cables on the wrong terminal now it won't accelerate past 25

2007 Toyota Camry XLe V6. Hooked jumper cables on wrong terminal and now the car won't accelerate past 25 mph. My mechanic says Computer problem $1200 part. Is that possible? He said the code showed a chip in the computer was gone that would cost $1200 to replace. Why would there not be a fuse to protect this expensive part from being ruined by an accident when dropping car off?

A: Hi there: It’s possible that the mechanic ...

Hi there:

It’s possible that the mechanic is correct, as hooking the battery cables up in reverse can cause serious electrcial damage within the ECU. In regards to why there isn’t a fuse to protect it; you’d have to ask the engineer who developed the Toyota Camry; it doesn’t make sense to me either. The only way to know for certain as to why your car won’t start is to get a second opinion from a mobile mechanic such as one from our team. Have them complete a car is not starting inspection; and let them determine if the ECU is damaged