Q: Car stalls out and has starting issues

I just replaced the battery 2 days ago so that's not the issue. However when I start the car, I have to turn the key twice. Just the dashboard lights come on the first time I try to start it so I have to turn the key back and then the second time I try to start it, it starts up. It was driving fine a couple days ago and this morning I drove it a couple feet and it stalled out on me. I had to restart it about 4 times just so I could turn it around to park it back in front of my house.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide some insight.

This sounds like potentially a bad grounding problem. Try checking the black battery cable to be sure it is properly connected (opposite end of the battery) to the chassis of the car or some part of metal. Also, you may want to have the starter relay tested to see if it is getting power consistently to the starter.

As to the stalling, this can be caused by a variety of issues such as failing ignition coils, throttle body temperature sensor, mass air flow sensor or many other fuel related issues.

If you would like help with an inspection, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

3. Car stalls out and has starting issues