Q: Car stalled and couldn't go over 25 mph, also the steering wheel locked and couldn't move the car until I shut it off and start it

asked by on March 17, 2018

So after getting a scanner and hooking it up to the car the codes p0013 and p0014 came up I just replaced the camshaft postion sensors but was told that the camshaft actuator was causing the other code I was wondering if the actuator is the same thing as the vvt solenoid

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

P0013 sets if there is an open or short in the circuit to (and from) the exhaust camshaft oil control valve. That valve is an actuator or solenoid controlled electro-mechanical device. The underlying fault that caused the code to set could be in the circuit, that is the wiring, to the valve and not necessarily the valve itself. Diagnostic tests have to be carried out to pinpoint the exact fault (the code itself is not a diagnostic and thus the code cannot pinpoint the actual fault). P0014 also refers to a problem with the variable valve timing mechanism on the exhaust camshaft. The issue could be mechanical (basic timing is off), hydraulic (VVT relies on engine oil pressure), or electrical (there are solenoids, wiring, terminals). Regardless of the issue, there are only a limited number of components involved and some items, such as the solenoid and associated control circuit, are straightforward to diagnose. To get the VVT issue resolved, a check engine light diagnostic is performed during which a certified mechanic from YourMechanic retrieves the codes from the PCM (that is, confirms the specific codes that have caused the light to set) and then methodically tests the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems to pinpoint the underlying fault. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you schedule the recommended diagnostic, the mechanic will resolve this promptly for you and all on a mobile basis right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.