Q: Car sometimes sluggish to start

I purchased a new battery recently. Sometimes the car is sluggish to start, requiring three or four attempts before it finally turns over. This only happens every so often.

There are several things that come to mind. First of all proper connection and cleanliness of the terminals is important. Terminals should be clean and tight. If the fault is intermittent, the other possible issue could be a faulty starter. Starters can have dead sections internally. When it cranks, the part that has the dead section spins. If it happens to fall right on the dead part, it will have trouble starting or not start at all. A qualified technician can do a starting system test to help diagnose why the car is having a hard time starting.

3. Car sometimes sluggish to start