Q: Car shudders

When I press the gas lightly, with some force, or to the floor, the car shudders or stuttters like it can’t breathe for a couple seconds and then clears up and accelerates. It can happen at any RPM in any gear. I have noticed an actual loss in power as well in general. Strangely enough this problem seems to occur any time I hit a bump or speed bump in the road but it may be a coincidence. Also this problem is very inconsistent, it will be there one day and gone the next. I have taken it to a shop and they found the air intake was loose, the MAF was dirty, and one 02 sensor was loose. All issues were fixed. However the problem is still there and I am at a loss. There seems to be no vacuum leaks and the exhaust is tight. Any opinions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks. slomach

There are a number of things that may cause the car to hesitate when accelerating such as low fuel pressure, a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, clogged or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a bad fuel pump. Other things like a vacuum leak or faulty ignition components such as bad spark plugs or spark plug wires may also cause this kind of hesitation when accelerating. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Car shudders