Q: Car shake and miss fires but only when low on gas

asked by on May 09, 2017

Car has had engine light on but was told it may be the spark plugs. Now, whenever my car is low enough on gas, my car will shake & check engine light will blink. Was told before it may be the gas pump or something but now some times shakes when I accelerate & hesitates. It has stalled before when low on gas.

Fuel Pump Replacement $129.49 - $1235.95 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. A fuel pump issues is a very good assumption to make with the information given. When they are weak and having issues regulating fuel pressure, they begin having similar symptoms. You can verify this with a fuel pressure test when the symptoms start to occur. If you pulled codes from the vehicle that indicated a misfire, a lack of fuel supply may be to blame. Only further testing will tell. Keep in mind the "gas" pedal, really controls the throttle (which controls the air supply to the engine). The vehicle then decides how much fuel needs to be mixed with the amount of air being sent in. If the fuel pump cannot keep up with the amount of air, misfires occur, and stalling is a possibility. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr