Q: Is my car safe to drive 350miles to and 350miles back in one day if my torque converter clutch solenoid is stuck?

My car's check engine light comes up usually when I drive at high speeds for a long distance, like on a highway. It turns off usually when I'm in the city driving at lower speeds. I plan on making a big trip tomorrow morning and I don't think I can get my car repaired on time. I'm just wondering if it's safe to drive my car tomorrow all day? Is there a possibility of my car stalling? Or shutting down? Or anything like that?

The reason you are only seeing the Check Engine Light come on at lower speeds in and around town as opposed to being on the freeway is due to the fact that the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) is not getting the amount of pressure it needs to function correctly at lower speeds which is common for lower speed driving around town.

Assuming there’s no internal damage, what this is indicating is that the internal clutch is not receiving the minimum pressure needed and is therefore slipping more than the allowed amount. If this continues, this can cause a severe amount of damage. There is not really any way to be certain driving this distance will or will not cause more damage to the car.

I would not suggest making the drive in your car as a precaution. I would recommend having a certified expert, like one from YourMechanic, come to your home to diagnose your Check Engine Light and help you fix it accordingly. Best of luck.

3. Is my car safe to drive 350miles to and 350miles back in one day if my torque converter clutch solenoid is stuck?