Q: Car's electrical completely dies at first crank. Battery is brand new and has been tested at 505 amps.

asked by on September 25, 2017

I got into my car this AM. automatic locks unlocked. car dash lights came on. radio came on. Went to crank..All electrics shut down. No lights no dash nothing. tried to jumps start the car.... still no lights no dash nothing. Took the battery cables off. tried it again. got lights got dash..go to crank it. BAM all electrics are off and back at square one. Every time i take the cables off and put it back the same thing. Tested the battery label says 490amps. tested it at 505 amps. Battery is 100% completely charged and 4 days old.

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Electrical issues like this can be tricky. The first thing you should try is starting the vehicle with another battery. Pull a known good battery from another vehicle, and try it in your car just to be sure. If your battery really is fine (which doesn’t seem to be the case), then you have another component sucking amperage from the battery when your key is in the crank/start position. Either way, the starter is NOT getting the power it needs to turn over the heavy engine and get it started. You will want to then look into the alternator, the alternator circuit, the ignition switch, the fuse box, and the fuse box power supply and ground connections. Make sure no electronics are on. This is including light bulbs, radios, climate control, plug in chargers, and any other accessories. There may be a short in one of those systems that is active only when the car is running. Only further testing will tell. You will want a voltmeter and possibly wiring diagrams to help during this process. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.