Q: Car turns over but won't start an has poor compression. 2004 Chevy Cavalier

04 cavalier will turn over but won't start and has poor compression, took the valve cover off and the cams are spinning just not as fast as they should. The timing chain is really tight and the car looks like it hasn't had an oil change in years. Please any help will be appreciated.

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - just as an FYI, the cams turn at half crankshaft speed, so seeing them rotate slower than your eyes/brain expects them to is normal. First task is to check for problem codes - whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Then check for spark at the plugs while cranking. If so, try some starter fluid to confirm that the problem is then one of fuel supply. I would recommend an engine won’t start inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.