Q: Car runs rough, with choking sound - 2008 BMW 528i xDrive

I purchased a used car and it was running great for several months. It has approximately 162,000 miles. For the past week, on an intermittent basis, my car started started running rough and has a choking sound. When the RPMs are up, then it stops running rough. At low speeds it starts shaking again and when I have to stop at red lights. Now, the “service engine light” has come on and it comes on every time I start the car. My friend commented that it is running like an old model with that bumpy feeling and I agree with him. There are still 3 green bars on the oil light gauge. I am hoping to work on the car myself, so could you please give me the first steps toward finding the cause and also the solution. Thank you.

I’m not sure what you mean by "choking sound." If by that you mean "wheezing", this could be an air leak in the intake - loose or leaking vacuum hose - a common problem with high mileage engines. The Service Engine light may be trying to tell you something more than ’Time to change your oil." Have the engine checked for problem codes that may instruct where to pursue the bad behavior. A professional mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, can diagnose the noise firsthand and have this issue addressed appropriately.

3. Car runs rough, with choking sound - 2008 BMW 528i xDrive