Q: Car overheats after replacing hoses

The car is overheating after replacing hoses.

A: The 3.1 engine is known for having air pock...

The 3.1 engine is known for having air pockets after servicing the cooling system. There are several methods of filling the system to eliminate this problem:

There are two “air bleeders” on the engine; one above the water pump, the other on the thermostat housing. These are used with the engine off while filling the system. Leave them open until a steady stream of coolant comes out. Close the bleeders, top off the radiator, and put the cap on. Start the engine and warm it up until the thermostat opens. Shut the engine off and let it cool for 10 minutes, then recheck the coolant level. If the car was shut off when it overheated, chances are there was no damage done.

I recommend having a top-rated technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come out to your home or office to provide a diagnostic inspection of your car’s overheating issue, bleed the cooling system, if necessary, and suggest any other necessary repairs.