Q: Car only runs when jumper the fuel pump

The fuel pump in my car isn’t getting any volts. The following have been replaced in my car:

• fuel pump
  • fuel pump basket
  • fuel pump driver module
  • fuel filter
  • starter

My car will only run if I jumper the fuel pump, since it hasn’t been getting any volts. Please give me advice on what to do to about the fuel pump. Thanks.

Check to see if you are getting power when you test the green with orange stripe wire going to the fuel pump module. If you have no power then check the the fuel inertia switch, in the left kick panel, by the drivers foot, and see if the inertia switch is not tripped. If it is, reset it and the pump should work.

If the switch is okay then make sure it has power to it and from it, when cranking the engine. If you have no power then check the fuel relay and see if it has power to it and that it’s being turned on when you crank it. If you do not then you may have an issue with the computer not activating the fuel pump. This will require a scan of the system and in-depth tests further than the scope of what this diagnoses is capable of. You will need a wiring diagram to follow and a scanner to activate the relays to test the system.

If you decide to get this fixed, contact a certified mechanic who can perform all of these checks in order to find the root of your starting problem. Once this is done, an accurate repair can be made.

3. Car only runs when jumper the fuel pump