Q: Car oil needs to be refilled before oil change is due

I've had to refill my car own twice in the last month (but I drive my car a bit) because my oil pressure light comes on (the one with a teapot looking spout with a drop coming out). My car tends to go past the midway side on the engine heat gauge so I'm guessing it's burning too much oil due to higher than normal engine heat but I'm not sure. What could cause my oil to run out like that?

Hello. If you are losing oil, it is either leaking or being burned. The causes of burning oil would be faulty piston rings that allow the oil to blow by into the combustion chamber or bad valve guide seals that allow the oil to get into the combustion chamber when the valves open. Oil leaks can be found on the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, head gasket, oil cooler, and many other places. I would recommend having your vehicle inspected by a qualified mechanic for oil leaks to determine where the exact cause of the oil loss is and assist with repairs.

3. Car oil needs to be refilled before oil change is due