Q: My brakes make lots of noise and they vibrate

The rotors in my 2007 Ford Edge are not very high quality and don’t work that well. They make a lot of noise, either wobbling and vibrating the vehicle or just squeaking loudly every time the brakes are tapped. I replaced the brake pads and rotors at 36,000 miles and now I am at 64,000 and the replacement parts have failed. I own this vehicle and the warranty is up, so should I just go with aftermarket parts? I am sick of the factory junk.

A: There are several high quality aftermarket ...

There are several high quality aftermarket brake parts available. Some noteworthy manufacturers are EBC, Wagner, Bendix and Bosch, to mention a few. The symptoms that you describe have multiple possibilities of causes that are good for you to be aware of. Squeals are always caused by micro vibrations of components while braking. Quality of materials, hardware, and anti-squeal compounds and insulators play a part in preventing this. Wobbling and vibrating can be caused by warped or uneven brake rotor surfaces. Although, loose steering components can also contribute to these symptoms. In regards to frequent brake replacement and short life of components, your driving conditions will also play a part, such as, frequent stop and go driving, city vs. traffic, steep uphill and downhill driving where one applies brakes for long periods of time (as when coasting down steep hills), driving with two feet, and conscientiously resting one foot on the brake pedal.

To sum up your question, the answer is yes, you can go with quality aftermarket parts. Many independent shops and services, such as YourMechanic, provide quality parts when performing brake repairs.