Q: Car not cranking.

My car will not crank. It turns over normally, but will not catch. It seems like the carburetor is flooded.

One thing that may have happened if the engine was flooded is that the cylinder walls may have been washed down by excess fuel. Once this happens the engine has a distinctly different sound when starting. Also, even spraying starting fluid in the carburetor will not have ignition as there is not ample compression to start the engine. The oil can be checked for a heavy fuel smell on the dipstick. If there is a heavy fuel smell in the oil, the oil will need to be changed prior to starting the engine. Also, the spark plugs will need to be removed and allow to excess fuel to evaporate. A couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder to re-coat the cylinder walls, this will restore compression and you should be able to start the engine assuming all other factors of fuel, air, and spark are satisfied. Now if the engine sounds normal on starting and there is no fuel smell in the oil, then basic diagnosis of the fuel supply, air management, and ignition system must be explored. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to assist in the diagnosis and repair of this engine.