Q: Car misses and acts like it is losing power while idling

My car misses and cuts out and the lights dim when it misses

A: Hello. If the engine is turning off then th...

Hello. If the engine is turning off then the first thing that must be done is a code check. I usually take my scan tool to see if there are any codes int he computer indicating what is going on. If there are no codes then I start by checking the fuel pressure to see if the pump is bad. If it is fine then I check the spark plugs to see if they are worn. If they are then those can cause this. This engine also has a history of coolant leaking through the intake manifold gasket so that should be checked also. If all of these are fine then it may be a bad air flow sensor or crankshaft position sensor. If you want to have this misfire and stalling issue checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.