Q: Q: Charging system light on

I hear a clicking sound when trying to start my car. It won't start. The charging system light was on.

Hi there. There is a possibility that your alternator or charging system may have experienced a failure. In the case of a charging system failure, the battery’s charge cannot be kept and the battery drains during vehicle operation. Once the battery is dead or has a very low charge, there may not be enough juice in the system for components to operate normally. Have a technician inspect the battery and replace it if necessary. The charging system must be inspected and repaired before continued use of the vehicle, as a dead battery can ruin a new alternator. Vice- versa, a new battery will start a vehicle and run for some time, but with a malfunctioning alternator, the battery will be drained and can damage the battery.

3. Q: Charging system light on