Q: Car making pat pat sound when starting

My car usually starts easily and every time. Now, when I try, the starter makes a pat pat noise, and the engine will not start. The battery is charged.

It is possible for the starter itself to be going out. Starters are small but strong electromagnetic motors, meaning they work off of magnets that get energized when you turn the key on. If a magnet starts to fail, the starter will not be able to turn the cars engine. This is probably the sound you hear. This problem is not very complicated to diagnose with a starting system test. The test looks at amperage draw from the starter. The test also looks at the battery, terminals and cables as this can mimic a bad starter under the right conditions. Get help from a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to properly diagnose your car’s starting issue.

3. Car making pat pat sound when starting