Q: Common ways Oil Filter Housing Cracks

I recently had an oil change, as well as an Engine oil cooler Seal leak repair completed on my car. Less than 2 weeks after this major repair, more oil is still leaking - Mercedes told me today that it is an oil filter housing leak.

Mercedes has advised that the filter housing leak is in no way related to the cooler seal repair done last month. I want to know some of the ways this filter housing would crack, specifically if there is any way to tell if it cracked due to overtightening during a service appointment.

If the crack in the housing is in the plastic part, that can be written off to normal wear and tear. The plastic filter holder gets brittle and cracks easily. Most shops keep them on hand in case this happens during an oil change. If the aluminum housing is cracked, It’s possible that could happen during a service operation. If your car uses the oil cooler that is attached to the filter housing, a crack could indeed develop it the bolts are installed incorrectly. It would be difficult to prove, however. If you are to have any hope of getting compensation you would have to have the dealer do the repair and rely on their good will as to whether they are willing too admit fault. Pursuing it any further would mean working through Mercedes Customer Service. It could end up being a big hassle with little return. If you just want to get it fixed you can Contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office and fix your oil leak for you.

3. Common ways Oil Filter Housing Cracks