Q: Car made a noise and then died.

My car was running fine, but I noticed some unusual noise from under the hood. On my way to work the noise was louder than usual, and my car died as I was pulling in. Now, it turns over, but will not start.

Unfortunately that sound you were hearing may have been your timing belt. The belt may have been frayed and making a noise by rubbing the plastic timing cover under your hood. I believe the noise got louder because the belt got more frayed and eventually broke. When the timing belt break the engine is no longer in sync and cannot run. The timing belt will need to be replaced if the belt is in fact broken as I suspect. I would ask for help from a certified mechanic to diagnose why your car will not start and confirm my suspicions or find the actual problem.

3. Car made a noise and then died.