Q: Car is shaking

asked by on September 29, 2017

I added oil (not an oil change) and i drove my car into a short while after with no problem, came home and decided to go for a drive tonight (same day). The car took awhile to start and started shaking. I pulled a couple feet ahead and opened the hood, (car was running still) i noticed the belt was moving but one of the round parts of the belt wasnt moving, then it spun for a bit and stopped and continues in this pattern.

You might be looking at the air conditioner compressor. It has a clutch on it so that the belt can freewheel around it until the electronic controller turns it on. It might turn on and off a couple of times a minute. That is normal and is likely not related to your problem. As for your shaking, it may be that you are experiencing a misfire. If one of the engine cylinders does not get the fuel or ignition that it needs it will misfire and you will notice a shake and a loss of power. There is probably already a stored trouble code and eventually the Check Engine Light will come on. You need to have a technician scan your car and determine the cause. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to check out your shaking Jeep and let you know what is the solution.