Q: Car is revving high constantly with loud noise and makes the engine sluggish

My car used to run fine, but recently it started revving high. The car doesn't rev only at startup and then returns to normal--it is revving constantly very high. At each stop light, it would go to high RPMs of around 2000 and then it would keep revving, while the engine seems to lose power. Then, I would slowly shift gears, but as soon as I gave it gas, it would rev high again and make loud noises. Everything else seems fine and there are no check engine light or any other warning lights on the dashboard. What is causing this revving?

The most common cause of this revving is either a stuck throttle or the mass airflow (MAF) sensor. This fault should be addressed as soon as possible for normal operation as this revving can become dangerous if the vehicle is allowed to accelerate unintentionally. The qualified technicians at YourMechanic can perform a diagnostic inspection of your loss of power issue.

3. Car is revving high constantly with loud noise and makes the engine sluggish