Q: Car is losing coolant

My car is losing coolant somewhere. I keep topping it off so that my car doesn't overheat, and that worked for a while. Now, my car is producing a big cloud of white smoke that disappears after 10 to 15 minutes of driving. Also, the oil is not milky.

A: Hi, it is possible for leaks to occur aroun...

Hi, it is possible for leaks to occur around the cylinders so that coolant gets into the combustion chamber and burns with the fuel and air. Liquid doesn’t compress at all, so if too much gets into the cylinders, you can cause damage to the internal components. Driving the car with a coolant leak greatly increases the risk of overheating which causes a lot of stress to the engine. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to help you locate the coolant leak and diagnose this issue further.