Q: When I come to an abrupt stop, the engine stumbles like it wants to stall. Any thoughts?

asked by on November 16, 2016

Could the above issue be a sign of a 1) bad fuel pressure regulator,2) low transmission fluid causing a torque converter lock up issue, 3) or bad fuel pump.Fuel filter was replaced in march of this year and transmission was serviced about 20,000 miles ago.I seeno visible leaks under the car.

Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

A low transmission fluid level from a leak is more likely to cause the transmission to slip, especially on hills. If the torque converter clutch of the electronics that control it are sticking on, this situation may cause the engine to stumble as you come to an abrupt stop as the converter clutch solenoid should turn off. This will allow some slip at a stop since the engine is running and the wheels are not moving. Consider visiting your local transmission repair facility and have them take a closer look at your concern. If you’d like a second opinion, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location to offer a more personal diagnosis of your rough running engine.