Q: Car is accelerating random moments

asked by on August 14, 2016

Okay so when I'm driving my car, if I put the peddle to the floor sometimes it will rapidly still accelerate after I take my foot off the peddle causing my car to continually pick up speed. The only thing stopping it is throwing it into neutral then back to drive and it stops. The gas peddle does not get stuck it just feels like paper and my car will accelerate even after I remove my foot from the peddle. What do you think it could be? Only does it if I put the peddle to the floor

Throttle Body Replacement $226.78 - $1710.92 Get a Quote
Car is hesitating and bucking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. This can be caused by a few different things. Most of the time this is caused by a dirty or failing throttle body. Most of the time the throttle body gets dirty internally and the throttle plate gets stuck. I usually clean out the throttle body first. If that does not help then the throttle body may have a sensor failure or there may be an issue with the throttle cable getting stuck. All of these would need to be checked. If you plan on having this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your driving symptoms.