Q: Car idles rough, extremely weak and stalls when put into gear

My Escape will fire up relatively easy the first time. It'll idle a little rough. Once I put it in gear, the idle gets weaker, stutters and dies. It then refuses to start for a while. I was wondering where the issue may be.

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes. This will let me know if the computer is seeing any issues. If there are no codes then I take a look at the sensor readings to see if any of them are reading incorrectly. If nothing is found at that time I visually check the spark plugs to see if they need to be replaced. Worn out spark plugs or coil boots can cause this as well as a fuel system issue. I have also seen a lot of issues with the idle control valve and the intake manifold causing this. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your rough idle firsthand for an accurate repair.

3. Car idles rough, extremely weak and stalls when put into gear