Q: Car idles rough, extremely weak and stalls when put into gear

asked by on September 08, 2016

My Escape will fire up relatively easy the first time. It'll idle a little rough. Once I put it in gear, the idle gets weaker, stutters and dies. It then refuses to start for a while. I was wondering where the issue may be.

Hello. This can be caused by a number of things. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes. This will let me know if the computer is seeing any issues. If there are no codes then I take a look at the sensor readings to see if any of them are reading incorrectly. If nothing is found at that time I visually check the spark plugs to see if they need to be replaced. Worn out spark plugs or coil boots can cause this as well as a fuel system issue. I have also seen a lot of issues with the idle control valve and the intake manifold causing this. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your rough idle firsthand for an accurate repair.