Q: Car doesn't want to stay running. Low engine power and "throttle disabled" keeps coming up on the screen.

I have a impala and I left the radio on with the engine turned off and also had the lights are on well my battery died a friend gave it a jump so I could drive it and It was fine for a day then the next day I ran the radio It didn't die but I turned it off and kept the lights off when we went to move the car it started and then it died saying reduced engine power and a disabled throttle so the next morning I tried it again I was able to move this time and it ran and I turned it off I went and got my stuff got back in the car I started up no reading was coming across the screen so I had it down the driveway I made about 50 feet and the disabled throttle and low engine power light came on again and it died I don't think taking it to the mechanics going to help because if they plug their machine up to it I'm afraid it's not going to have it's reading on my screen to show up my brother noticed when the readings come up my gas pedal go straight to the floor and does nothing

Hi there. This is an indication of a faulty throttle position sensor. This is a sensor that monitors the position of your foot on the gas pedal relative to the throttle plate inside the throttle body.

As you move your foot up and down on the pedal, this sensor relays this information to the car’s computer which then controls the amount of fuel it provides to the fuel injection system. When this is not working properly, you may experience the symptoms you have described. If you would like to move forward with a throttle position sensor replacement, or have a professional diagnose the loss of power problem, then a certified technician from YourMechanic can visit your car’s location to perform services.

3. Car doesn't want to stay running. Low engine power and "throttle disabled" keeps coming up on the screen.