Q: Sounds like the timing belt is about to fail - 2004 Nissan 350Z

I just bought a 350Z from a private sale and it sounds like the timing belt or timing chain whatever you prefer is about to go out I just bought the car yesterday so could you give me any tips on what to get checked out obviously I need to go to get an engine check on it but what else do you suggest

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. The 2004 350Z will have a timing chain. The noise you are hearing is the chain guides that are rubbing the chain. The guide materials are worn off and the guides need replacing. While the guides are being replaced, I recommend replacing the timing chain. The chain is designed for 125,000 miles before replacing.

If you need further assistance diagnosing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you replace the timing chain on your car.