Q: Car doesn't run after Check Engine light came on

The Check Engine light started blinking, and then the engine started to chug. Then the car wouldn't accelerate, and the power steering went out. Now, it doesn't run at all.

Hi there. When the check engine light starts flashing that means that the engine is experiencing a cylinder misfire. If the engine ended up stalling afterwards then you may have a fuel pump that failed or possibly a timing belt that broke. A mechanic would usually start by checking the fuel pressure and the engine compression to see which one is not within specifications. If the engine now sounds like it is cranking faster than normal then it is a timing belt that needs to be replaced. If it sounds the same as it always has and simply does not start it may be the fuel pump or even a crank sensor that would need to be replaced.