Q: How do I remove crank arm from wiper motor

I am trying to swap out my wiper transmission assembly, but have run into a problem. I can't remove the crank arm from the assembly that's coming from the wiper motor. I thought it would be a simple socket wrench job, but I can't get the nut to budge. Some lubricant didn't help free it up either. The new assembly came with a new crank arm.

Is it not possible to remove the nut? Do I need to break the nut and then use a replacement? I thought about purchasing a new wiper motor, but it looks like they all have the crank arms permanently attached too. Any ideas what to do here?

It is possible to loosen the nut, but it can be difficult, and usually takes some skill and patience. Depending on your skill level, this may or may not be something that you want to attempt.

When nuts like these can’t be removed with a socket wrench and/or lubricant, it may be possible to use a heating agent, such as a propane torch. This can be dangerous, so it is important to have a water bottle nearby, and be prepared just in case a fire ignites. Engines are extremely combustible, as you may already know, so it may be necessary to seek help from a professional.

Sometimes the nut can be removed using this method, but there is no guarantee, so it is possible that you may need to have a replacement nut on hand, and crank arms are permanently attached to all wiper arms for the make/model of your vehicle. If you need any help with your windshield wiper linkage replacement, contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

3. How do I remove crank arm from wiper motor