Q: Car died after going through deep puddles tried to restart and it wouldn’t.. couple hours later started up no problem?What’s wrong

asked by on August 27, 2017

Two nights ago I went out and drove my vw through heavy rain and it was fine. The next morning I was on my way to the store and it was raining and therewere multiple deep puddles on my street and suddenly about 5 minutes after my car started to get really bumpy and I drove onto the side of the road as my car began to slow down by itself and turned the car off. My car wouldn’t start. I came back to my car a few hours later and it turned on and I drove it home like nothing happened??? Is there something I have to go get replaced? ... this morning I go to turn it on and it’s all fine except since it’s still raining outside i used the windshield wipers and then my stereo started to act up and change from am to fm to cd to tape.. hope there’s no real harm! Thanks :)

When you ran through the water you may have sucked in some water into the air filter and MAF sensor and engine. This will cause the engine to stall and may even damage the engine if you suck large amounts of water into the engine. Since your engine runs you will need to check and replace the air filter for the engine. As far a the radio is concerned you may need to wait until electrical system gets dried out to see if problem corrects itself or there is wiring that got wet and needs to be dried out.