Dead battery

Dead battery Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before? No, but when I had my tires changed over the mechanic tested it and said it just passed the load test <b...

Dead battery Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before? No, but when I had my tires changed over the mechanic tested it and said it just passed the load test Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? Ford escort lx 1994 1.9 l (4cyl?) Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far? Jump start , booster start didn't start Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? That's it ,

Automotive Expert
Hi, my name is\*\*\*\*\*’ve been a technician on Just Answer since 2007 and I'll be helping you today. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your vehicle. I know how inconvenient car trouble is, but together, we will get your vehicle back up and running quickly. May I ask whom I am chatting with today?

Manuel
Automotive Expert
HI Manuel, it's nice to meet you. If it just passed a load test, then it's possible that the battery can't be jumped. I would try the jump aain, but make sure you hear the donor car's engine sort of lag, then wait 15 minutes and try to start it. If it still won't start I think I would pull the battery and have it tested again and install a new battery if it tests out bad. Thank you for taking the time to contact Just Answer today. Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. If you are satisfied with my help, please let me know with a short note here. Thank you.

what do you suggest I do next since battery can't be boosted. When we tried boosting I had black cable connected to the \_ve booster battery & the other end to car metal . Is that right or Can u connect it to the \_ve battery terminal
Automotive Expert
Black should go on the negative battery cable or the body under the hood, red should go to the positive terminal. It's best to get them both directly on the battery terminals, the neg on the body isn't a really good method.

I can put the -ve black on the -ve battery terminal of each car? My manual says connect the red +ve to each car terminal, then connect the -ve 's ..1 to -ve terminal 1 to body of dead car
Automotive Expert
You want to go battery to battery where you can. Black is negative and red is positive, make sure it's the same on both vehicles or you will short it out.

I can try jump starting again with each cable going to proper terminals.? And do I do the lag u mentioned and wait 15 min
Automotive Expert
yes, connect, then let them sit about 15, then try to start your car.

when I hear the lag ( and all the cables r connected) the good car is running ...do I disconnect the cables then & try starting the dead car then after 15 min? Or are you saying keep the car running for 15 minutes with cables connected then try starting car
Automotive Expert
keep the car running even when you try to start the car. Basically we are trying to give your car a bump, 15 minutes should put some power into the battery, then leave the donor car running and try to start your car.

If I need a new battery is it just a matter of getting what I have now , or can I get something better? How many cca do I need , warranty get , etc. What else need to consider
Automotive Expert
Usually you will look up this info at the parts store so you get the correct battery family for the application. You want to make sure it's the same physical size, it can go higher CCA then you have already.

Mike I followed your instructions and my car started up! Now I should get the battery tested again? Do I need to remove it or can it be tested w/o removing it. ? And can I buy a new battery & store it until I need it?
Automotive Expert
Sorry for the late reply, Sunday is my day off. I would have it tested again, and I would not recommend buying one to store, they will lose charge just sitting around. I would also have it tested in the car and have the charging system tested at the same time. You want to know the alternator is working as it should.

Would there be a charge to test the battery & charging system? Can I do any of those tests myself- what would I need to do the test myself. If the battery doesn't pass test- replace battery? What if charging system fails testing - what would need to do then?
Automotive Expert
usually the parts stores don't charge you anything to test these. You can't really do a load test without the proper equipment. If the charging system fails, it's likely a bad alternator.

I took the car in and the battery tested 270 rated at 540 cca. Were not able to test charging system cause the charge on battery is too low...said to take it for a good drive then bring again to test. Or they could charge it up but not sure how long that may take. So it only tested out @ 1/2 of it's rated capacity is that ok?
Automotive Expert
Well it does show the battery is low, they are right if you drive it and the charge comes up then the battery should be ok. If the charge doesn't come up the alternator isnt' any good.

Hello my car wouldn't start again , tried jump starting with my jumpstarter gave signs of turning over Should I keep trying to jumpstart ? Does the 270 test result mean I need a new battery or is it ok once it's more fully charged
Automotive Expert
The low battery charge means either the battery is no good or something is draining the battery when it sits. If it's fine and then dropping it's because there is a drain. I thin you should make sure your battery pack is fully charged and then honestly, if you get it running I would put a new battery in it.

If I can't jumpstart it , if I replace the battery with new1 the car should start then
Automotive Expert
If the engine is not cranking, then I believe it should start yes. If the engine is cranking and not starting, then the new battery isn't going to help.

I'm charging my jumpstarter , it's showing a red light for battery level when I press the batt button it shows green , so does that mean it's charged or it's charged when the red light disappears to green
Automotive Expert
Sorry, I don't know, I would google the owners manual for the jump box and find that information.

Here r charging system results- Starter normal 10.06v Charging test ok 14.54v Battery - good recharge Volts 12.33 measured 318cca rated 540cca So what do u conclude by these results? Am I due for a new battery since it passed the load test but not by a lot And would hooking up a battery charger prevent me from having to buy a new battery.
Automotive Expert
I would put a new battery in the car. This appears to me that the battery can't hold a charge. It's been charged and it's still dropping off. Either that or you have a parasitic drain killing the battery. Putting a charger on it on trickle charge might help.

If the battery drain is caused by some (parasite ) somewhere else won't a new battery get drained as well?
Automotive Expert
but without a good battery there is no way to test it

Still not sure what you need?

Have a certified mobile mechanic diagnose what's wrong with your car, at your home or office.

Top Questions