Q: Car cut off while on highway. It turns over but won't start - 1996 Chevrolet Caprice

asked by on November 10, 2016

Car jus cut off on highway and check engine light went off it turn ova but won't crank changed starter and alternator n battery

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If the car is cranking and attempting to start, then your issue is with the fuel, air, or spark. You will want to start by spraying starter fluid in the air intake and see if it starts, or at least attempts to start better than before. If it does, then you know that you are not receiving fuel and can turn your attention to that system.

If the starter fluid makes no difference, then you will want to check for spark. You can do this in several ways. The safest being with a spark plug tester. A full blown shut down related to spark would likely be a distributor issue. It is hard to tell what the issue is with the limited information available. You will need to eliminate some options to get a better idea.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to perform an inspection to determine why the car is stalling and suggest the needed repairs.