Q: How Should I Clean My Wiper Blades?

How should I clean my wiper blades?

Wipers should be checked and cleaned every time you stop to fill your tank up. Since wiper blades are subject to all sorts of dirt and debris, you should clean the blades regularly when cleaning your windshield to protect and extend the life of these valuable parts. Keeping the windshield clear also helps to extend blade life.

Many different brands of wiper blade cleaner are on the market for this purpose which either use tools to scrape the blade edge and remove small burrs which can lead to streaking, or some form of cleaning agent to wipe away the debris.

An easy way to clean your wipers is to use a clean dry lint free rag and some rubbing alcohol. Soak the rag with some alcohol and then wipe the blade from end to end in one direction. You will be amazed at the amount of dirt this will remove and the performance that it will restore to your wipers.

You can also use a clean rag soaked with clean washer fluid. I have also used small alcohol wipes which are similar to, but not the same as those you would use to clean up after eating some barbecued chicken. The main theme here is to keep the blades clean for a streak free, hassle free clear windshield. And of course, if cleaning the blades does not result in smooth clear vision, always replace them for safety.