Q: Brake Pad or Caliper Issue?

Got new brake pads at 39K miles, which seemed premature as I don't tow a trailer or anything. They were at 3mm. Mechanic asked me if I drag my foot on the brake and I do not. He thought 39K seemed too soon as well to show that much wear.

Well, with new pads and 5K miles later, right front wheel is black - covered in brake dust. Left front wheel is normal color - same as back wheels. I think maybe I have a right front brake caliper dragging and that is a) what caused my premature brake wear the first time and b) what is now causing one wheel to be black with dust. Also seems like my MPG is not as good.

Is there a fix for this OR do I just need new calipers? If this is even the correct solution, I am guessing at that.

Thank You.

A: It is normal for the front brakes to last a...

It is normal for the front brakes to last about 35k to 40k miles before needing to be replaced. When the brake pads were replaced it should of been noted if the right pads were worn down to 3mm and the left side pads were not. If the pads were wearing even on both sides, then there is not a problem with the brakes most likely. It is normal for the wheels to get covered with brake dust and should be cleaned off at every car wash. If you suspect the brakes are having a problem causing excessive wear or loss of fuel mileage, then have a brake inspection done to check to see if the brakes are wearing normal and not binding. If one of the calipers were binding then you may notice a pull to one side or the other.