Q: Car cranks strong but will not start - 2000 Subaru Outback

Engine cranks but will not start. Performed the following trouble shooting: 1. Disconnected fuel line out of filter, cranked engine, and confirmed good fuel flow. 2. Pulled a spark plug and confirmed spark. 3. Replaced the crankshaft sensor. 4. Removed cover on the drivers side and confirmed timing belt is intact and not broken.

Hi there. It sounds like you’ve certainly done some good checks. However, what was the fuel pressure? Each manufacturer has a specified fuel pressure required for the engine to run. There can definitely be plenty of fuel coming out of the line and we assume it is good, but if the pressure is lower than specified, then it can create a no start and/or low power/lean condition.

There could be an underlying issue we’re not seeing without proper scan tool data. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to perform an inspection to determine why the car is not starting inspection and provide suggestions for repair.

3. Car cranks strong but will not start - 2000 Subaru Outback