Q: Door lock cylinder - 2004 Honda Accord

asked by on October 12, 2016

My car only had the valet key to use because the original key was damaged and I never repaired it. If the door lock cylinder is not working any longer (my key will not go into the key slot), would it be possible to just get the key repaired so that the car locks and unlocks automatically with the key remote, or would the defective cylinder have an effect on that?

Thank you. Freya

Hello. You should be able to replace the original key without an issue. The problem would be getting it programmed to work with your car. It would be better to get the lock fixed just in case the remote stops working again so you would still be able to get in. You may be able to have an aftermarket alarm system put in so you can lock and unlock the car again. Without seeing your remote you have now I do not know if you have factory or aftermarket alarm system. If you have an aftermarket system then the system would need to be replaced. For a problem like this, I would recommend consulting the dealer so that they can correct the key problem.