Q: Hear rattling under the hood

My car is overheating, and I hear rattling under the hood.

Hi there. Many components make up your cooling system. If any of these components are not functioning properly, it will cause your vehicle to overheat. If your vehicle is not leaking any coolant chances are that your radiator fan(s) are not turning on when a certain operating temperature is reached. Also, if your vehicle has a blown head gasket it will cause the vehicle to not receive sufficient cooling operations. The water pump maybe leaking or not functioning properly, also leading to poor or no circulation of coolant through your engine. Also, your thermostat which allows coolant to pass through your engine maybe stuck in a closed position. This blockage of coolant flow will not allow coolant to cycle through your engine causing it to overheat. If you need help with this, you can have a certified mechanic from YourMechanic come to your home or residence to inspect your overheating issue and make the right repairs.

As for the rattling noise coming from your engine, this can be due to your vehicle’s engine distorting due to the extreme heat. Many parts in your engine require a certain amount of space to function correctly. If this space is altered it will cause your engine to make uncommon noises. I would suggest having a certified mechanic look into your issue in person for precise diagnosis of the car’s rattling sound.